What is Covered By the Act

Most work affecting the party wall is included. If work is planned the neighbouring property or adjoining owner needs to be notified with a Party Wall Award. The works which require a party wall award are: Cutting into a wall to take bearing of a beam; inserting a damp proof course; raising a party wall; demolishing and rebuilding a party wall; underpinning in whole or in part of the party wall; weathering the junction; excavating foundation within 3 meters and excavating foundations within 6 meters.

What do I do

If you wish to carry out the work covered by the act, you will have to serve notice on the neighbour with whom the wall is shared and obtain their consent. The notice must be served at least two months before starting work. If all affected neighbours provide written consent to the work within 14 days of receiving the notice, then you can proceed with the work. If, however, they explicitly disagree or simply do not respond within 14 days then they must be treated as dissenting to the work, and additional steps are required before beginning work.

Received a Notice from your Neighbour?

If you are an Adjoining Owner and you receive a notice under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, you will have 14 days to carefully consider how to safeguard your interests. The following three notices are available: 1) Consent to Notice 2) Dissent to the Notice and appoint your own surveyor 3) Dissent to the Notice and Concur in the appointment of an Agreed surveyor.